Clementine Almond Lime Marmalade || Hitchhiking to Heaven

The Final Marmalade: Clementine Almond Lime

Except for Meyer lemon marmalade, which is a year-round thing for me, marmalade season is over. Last week, I was planning a final, simple batch of clementine marmalade, using a lovely recipe nipped from Julia, who found it in Mes Confitures. But then — whether due to inspiration or exhaustion (it was late at night) — I started throwing extra things into the pot: the entire contents of my small bottle of Kaffir lime syrup, some slivered almonds, a little bit of almond extract.

I like how it turned out, so I’m going to write it down here to remember for next year. Then I’m going to give the preserving posts a rest until it’s time to do something with herbs for the April can jam, in a couple of weeks. I still haven’t filed my taxes!

Clementine Almond Lime Marmalade

1 3/4 pounds clementines
3 1/4 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 3/4 cup apple jelly (good luck . . . see below)
5 oz. Kaffir lime syrup
1/2 cup slivered almonds
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

First, some notes about potentially hard-to-find ingredients:

• Apple jelly. It can be a real bitch to find store-bought apple jelly. If you live here in Marin County and you hope to find apple jelly in a grocery store, you won’t — at least I didn’t, when I checked every single market back in February. (One guy said, “But we have apple butter, and that’s the same thing.” Then he and I had a little talk.) After much effort, I discovered that Bay Area folk can find Smucker’s Apple Jelly at the Lucky supermarket in El Cerrito, but do you really want that? I now make my own stock jelly to keep on hand, using the oh-so-simple recipe from the Ball Blue Book.
  • Kaffir lime syrup. Okay. Yum. I got this amazing elixir from the renowned Robert Lambert. He comes out in person to sell his creations at the Marin Farmer’s Market on Sundays, but most everything he has is available on his website. (I just noticed that he has bergamot syrup. I think that’s where I’m going next.)

Next, here’s a rough guide to the process I used. If you want to try this and have any questions, please do leave a comment below.

1. Clean, chill and finely slice the clementines. To cut the fruit, I use the same method described in my post on slicing citrus for marmalade.2.  Combine the clementines, sugar, and lemon juice in a heavy-bottomed pan. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then remove it from the heat, put it in a large bowl and place it, covered, into the fridge overnight.

3 (optional). The next day, add about 1/4 cup of water (this isn’t in the original recipe, but I like to do it), simmer the mixture again, and let it sit another night in the fridge. (Some reputable sources say this step isn’t necessary and that you can go ahead and finish the marmalade on the second day, but I’ve continued to let it sit for a second night, because it works — or maybe because I’m lazy, not sure which.)

4. The following day (this is day two or three, depending on whether you include Step 3), put the mixture back into the heavy pot and add:

• apple jelly
  • Kaffir lime syrup
  • slivered almonds
5. Bring the mixture to a boil, stirring gently. Skim if necessary. Boil at high temperature until the mixture reaches the jelling point (220F) — about 5-10 minutes.6. Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the almond extract.

7. Ladle the hot mixture into sterilized half-pint jars and process. I left 1/4 inch head space and processed for ten minutes in a water bath canner.

Yields about 6 half-pints.

Enjoy!

• Reply Julia April 5, 2010 at 1:07 am

Wow. Lime and almonds. That sounds lush. I like where you're going with the slivered almonds. They make this look even more special, if that is at all possible. You're apple jelly story made me laugh out loud.

• Reply Cynthe Brush July 14, 2010 at 6:37 am

This looks YUM! What a gorgeous color.

Wasn't 'til I researched the Marin County Fair categories that I learned the difference between jams ~ preserves ~ conserves. But apple butter and apple jelly….the SAME thing!?! He works in a grocery store? Oh, dear.

• Reply Shae | Hitchhiking to Heaven July 14, 2010 at 7:21 pm

Julia: Don't you love that I'm responding three and a half months later? People seem mixed on the almonds. Some really like them, some find them distracting. I think they're fun and may continue to play with them.

Cynthe: I know! Folks around here gotta straighten out this apple thing. I didn't quite dare enter this one in the fair this year. It's such an oddball — too chunky for fair standards, I believe. (I know you know what that's about.) I'm planning a more refined clementine marm for next year.

• Reply Diana September 28, 2010 at 10:40 pm

I have a kaffir lime and don't live anywhere near the Bay Area; do you have any idea how he makes his syrup, because I'd love to try this recipe!

• Reply Shae | Hitchhiking to Heaven September 29, 2010 at 12:34 am

Hi Diana: This is a great question, and I wish I had a ready answer. I know you can buy his Kaffir syrup here, but that seems kind of silly since you have a tree! It sounds from his syrup listing that whatever he does, he has to put a little bit of work into mellowing out the intense flavor.

Do you know what I will do the next time I make this recipe? Rather than using Kaffir lime, I will sub 1/4 cup of regular lime juice for the lemon juice and add 2 tablespoons of minced lime zest. If you're not up for trying to tame your Kaffir limes, you could try that. I never really intended to use the Kaffir lime. It just happened to be what I had so I threw it in there!

I opened a jar of this zany marmalade not too long ago and I still really like it.

Whew! All that said, I may eventually look into how to make syrup out of unusual citrus varieties because I now have access to both Yuzu and Rangpur Lime.

• Reply Diana September 29, 2010 at 6:23 am

Thanks for that link. I see he's making the syrup from the fruit of the kaffir lime, rather than from the leaves. I only have the one tree and no fruit, since it would need a pollinator to fruit. So I guess I'm stuck with using it for Southeast Asian food instead of marmalade!

• Reply Lingonberry (Lowbush Cranberry) Mandarin Marmalade - Hitchhiking to Heaven December 8, 2015 at 1:19 pm

[…] Lemon Marmalade Lingonberry (Lowbush Cranberry) Marmalade Relish Quince Orange Cardamom Marmalade Clementine Almond Lime Marmalade (This one is so weird! What was I thinking?) Why Good Marmalade Takes Time How to Slice Citrus for […]