Bok Choy Soba Salad || Hitchhiking to Heaven
Food

B is for Bok Choy Soba Salad

Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy

When I began my monthly veggie challenge, I didn’t plan to make it alphabetical. But as soon as Stewart brought home January’s artichoke, the idea took stubborn root. So now we have month two, brought to you by the vegetable letter B. And I get to look forward to not just one, but more than two years of veggies. (Some of the letters, like the letter “I,” don’t have obvious choices unless I go for varieties of the underlying veggie, like Iceberg lettuce. I’ll figure out that one in September.)

One of the reasons I was particularly glad to get Bok Choy (or Pak Choy or Pak Choi) for this month’s challenge is that it’s something that I can easily grow — and sometimes I do. That’s a goofy thing: I like to grow veggies, but then I don’t particularly care to eat them (tomatoes, peppers, and lettuces are distinct exceptions). So I am getting my act together.

Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy

This month, I felt a little bit like I was cheating because I made something that I liked so much. I don’t know why I thought I should suffer for this challenge, like I wasn’t doing it right if I didn’t make a plate of steaming hot bok choy, which just didn’t sound good to me at all. With the exception of a warm spinach salad, I can’t think of when I’ve been happy to meet a plate of limp (or even limp-ish) greens. Stewart does get me to eat steamed or braised greens somewhat regularly, but then he puts me over the edge by making extra and eating them the next day. I can’t handle that. But this noodle salad? I would like more, please! There was plenty enough for leftovers so I got to keep eating it for several days.

There are so many ways to make a salad like this. For inspiration, I began with Kaela’s So What? Soba Noodles at Local Kitchen. Then I checked out the Sesame Soba Noodle Salad that she recommended at The Kitchen Sink. Finally, I took a good look at a recipe I’ve made many times before — one of my very favorites — Cucumber Noodles for Two at Chez Danisse. (It features caramelized onions. It’s astonishingly good. You should make it.) I mixed up all the parts of these recipes that sounded good to me and added a couple of other things, too.

Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy

Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy

Salad
6 ounces soba noodles, cooked according to package directions, drained, and rinsed
2 cups shredded bok choy
2 cups shredded red cabbage
2 medium carrots, julienned or thinly sliced
1 medium cucumber, peeled, cut in half lengthwise, and thinly sliced
1 red pepper, thinly sliced
1 cup green onion, white and green parts, thinly sliced
1/4 cup green garlic (also called spring garlic), thinly sliced
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
2 thumbs fresh ginger, minced
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds
1 handful peanuts (raw or roasted)

Dressing
1/2 cup seasoned rice vinegar
2 tablespoons fish sauce
3 pinches red chile flakes
1 tablespoon sesame oil
juice of 1 lime

Combine the ingredients for the dressing in a little jar and shake them up. Taste the dressing and adjust it in any way you like. In a large bowl, combine the ingredients for the salad. Add the dressing and toss well. Serve at room temperature or chilled. I sprinkled some extra sesame seeds, cilantro, and peanuts on top for garnish. I also like to add grilled chicken or shrimp to salads like this.

Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy

One last thing: I had no idea what it meant to “shred” the bok choy and cabbage. Was I supposed to use my hands or what? But there is a video for almost everything. If you’re as clueless as I was, take a look at this quick, clear video from 5min life of a guy shredding cabbage.

• Reply Denise | Chez Danisse February 27, 2011 at 8:10 pm

Shae, this is the most beautiful salad. Stunning, really. I love all of the color and the crunchy aspects along with the soft noodles. I’m making it this week. Bravo on the bok choy challenge! Well done.

• Reply Shae February 28, 2011 at 9:15 am

Thank you, Denise. I’m excited that I made something you want to make!

• Reply Denise | Chez Danisse March 2, 2011 at 9:36 pm

I made it tonight. Excellent! It was a hit. And my shopping basket was filled with items more beautiful than anyone else in line.

• Reply Shae March 6, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Hurray! I’m so glad that you made it and reported back. And yes, I agree. I don’t know when I’ve had such a beautiful pile of stuff on my kitchen counter.

• Reply Jennifer February 28, 2011 at 8:34 am

Just did a little research to save you the trouble in September (but don’t ask me how you prepare ice plant!).

Vegetables starting with I
    Italian Red Onion
    Iceberg lettuce,
    Iron bark Pumpkin,
    Ice Plant,
    Indian Pea
    Iceburg Lettuce

• Reply Shae February 28, 2011 at 9:17 am

Ha! Jennifer, under my “rules,” ice plant is the only thing on this list I could make. I’m trying not to use varieties for the first letter, so “Italian Red Onion” would really belong under “O is for Onion.” But on those months where I have no other choices, I’ll probably allow myself to choose a variety of something. Unless, of course, I can figure out what to do with ice plant!

• Reply kaela February 28, 2011 at 9:52 am

Yay! Excited that you tried the soba noodle salad. This is one of my early summer go-to recipes for using up tons of greens in the fridge; endlessly adaptable and satisfying enough that you don’t get tired of eating it for days in a row. I like the idea of fish sauce, which I do have in my fridge, despite my hatred of all-things-seafood.

• Reply kaela February 28, 2011 at 9:53 am

Oh, and love the new header photo! Sad to say I’m already jonesin for summer fruit – and it’s only February.

• Reply Shae March 1, 2011 at 3:56 pm

Thanks for both your comments, Kaela. As soon as you suggested a soba noodle salad, I knew that’s what I wanted to do. As you say, it’s a beautifully adaptable thing. I am not a fan of teryaki or soy sauces, so I remembered Denise’s recipe with the fish sauce, and that worked great for me. I didn’t know you hate seafood!

I really appreciate your comment on the header photo, too. I was hoping someone would notice. :-)

• Reply C is for Celery Citrus Salad – Hitchhiking to Heaven December 3, 2014 at 7:42 pm

[…] Last week I wrote about a successful Cauliflower Pie that I made, but this salad is the “official” entry for my personal veggie challenge, in which I am working my way through the vegetable alphabet and posting a related recipe on the last day of every month. (So far: A is for Artichoke and B is for Bok Choy.) […]