redwood_trees
Words

The Little Sound

Be a person here. Stand by the river, invoke

the owls. Invoke winter, then spring.

Let any season that wants to come here make its own

call. After that sound goes away, wait.

A slow bubble rises through the earth

and begins to include sky, stars, all space,

even the outracing, expanding thought.

Come back and hear the little sound again.

Suddenly this dream you are having matches

everyone’s dream, and the result is the world.

If a different call came there wouldn’t be any

world, or you, or the river, or the owls calling.

How you stand here is important. How you

listen for the next thing to happen. How you breathe.

~ thank you, William Stafford (“Being a Person”)

• Reply Julia June 10, 2012 at 5:26 am

Thank you, Shae!

• Reply Christina June 12, 2012 at 11:32 am

Summer is good, isn’t it?

• Reply Shae June 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

It is good, Christina. I hope you are enjoying yours!

• Reply Denise | Chez Danisse June 12, 2012 at 6:15 pm

It is important. Nice reminder.

• Reply Granny's Parlour June 15, 2012 at 7:49 pm

It is late and I am tired. I was looking for something new and different to add to a weekend review I post for our readers every Saturday. Your Blog title hooked me. I think it is especially interesting that even as you realized your writing was headed in a direction that was not quite what you had planned, the title is perfect because it represents the essence that was there all along. Will return with great pleasure, as will many of our readers I am sure. Have a good weekend.

• Reply Shae June 17, 2012 at 8:14 am

Thank you! And I so appreciate that you see the way the meandering and sometimes surprising path has its own integrity. It’s a lesson I need to learn and re-learn. :-)

• Reply Jarrett June 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Dear Shae —

I just discovered Hitchhking today when I went to the Web in search of a good apricot jam recipe. I can see that I have hours of splendid browsing ahead of me.

But I wanted to thank you in particular for posting the William Stafford poem. In a period of bereavement, it was just what I needed today. Blessings and peace,

Jarrett
    PS Owls are a personal totem so that made it even sweeter.

• Reply Shae June 24, 2012 at 9:01 am

Jarrett, thank you so much for taking the time to write this note. I find this poem to be a comfort, also. Best you you!

• Reply Debbie July 6, 2012 at 2:06 pm

My favorite way to eat apricots are either dried or in homemade fried pies

My grandmother had an apricot tree and in the summer she and my mother would can apricot preserves. This could then be used in various recipes including homemade fried pies (truly yummy!)