Lowbush Cranberry Marmalade Relish

What’s in your pantry, people? Do you still have marmalade that you made last winter?

I do.

Orange, quince, Meyer lemon, Rangpur lime, grapefruit — and there’s more.

Around here, the marmalade eating can’t possibly keep up with the marmalade making, so I need lots of ideas for using up what’s left over from one season to the next. Because the holiday gears are starting to turn, I thought I’d use some of my Alaskan lowbush cranberries (a.k.a. lingonberries) to make a nice cranberry relish with a marmalade mix-in. I chose a jar of Meyer Lemon-Rangpur Lime marmalade from a batch that tastes great but set too soft. I also added some chopped Honeycrisp apples, because they happened to be sitting on the counter and they looked right for the job.

I wrote out the instructions for what I did, below, but I think there are a ton of ways to make something like this and you should experiment with whatever kinds of cranberries and marmalade you have or can get. (Case in point: For a lovely, simple version using a marmalade that set a bit too firm, check out Kaela’s cranberry marmalade sauce.) Keep what you make in the fridge, or freeze it and use it up pretty soon, because it’s not a good idea to open a jar of last year’s preserves and re-can them for another year.

Finally, if cranberry marmalade relish doesn’t make your skirt fly up, I got lots of help putting together a roundup of great links to other things you can do with marmalade — so read on!

Lowbush Cranberry Marmalade Relish

3 cups lowbush cranberries (lingonberries)
4 small apples, peeled, cored, and chopped into 1-inch pieces (I used Honeycrisp)
1/2 cup water
1 cup marmalade of choice (I used Meyer Lemon-Rangpur Lime)
3/4 cup sugar (or to taste)

In a 4-quart nonreactive saucepan, combine the cranberries, apple pieces, and water. Simmer until the berries pop and the apples soften, about 10 minutes. Stir in the marmalade and sugar, return the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer 3-5 minutes more, until the mixture has thickened somewhat and the bubbles have settled and become shiny. Remove the mixture from the heat and skim foam if necessary. Allow the relish to cool to room temperature and transfer to jar or other container for fridge or freezer.

Makes about 4 cups.

Buddha’s Hand at Whole Foods yesterday. Citrus is trending.

Now, here’s a long list of other ways you can get ready for this year’s citrus-fest by using up your older jars of marmalade. For so many great ideas, I thank the recipe creators and friends on the H2H Facebook page who shared their favorite ways to take marmalade beyond toast.

You can also take a look at the discussion on Facebook for more tips, like Dierdre’s suggestion to use a spoonful of marmalade to deglaze the pan after cooking pork (that one made my mouth water) or Diana’s recipe for jam cake, which she generously typed out right there on the page. If you’ve got a suggestion to add, please do leave a comment here.

It’s almost Thanksgiving, and I am definitely feeling the love for my fellow fruit preservers!

• Reply annie l November 21, 2011 at 4:47 am

I made a delicious kind of Crepe Suzette, but a crepe just with marmalade and yoghurt (though creme fraiche would have been nice)– was really a dessert quality breakfast!

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:29 am

That sounds wonderful, Annie.

• Reply christina d November 21, 2011 at 6:35 am

Whoa. Seriously awesome recipe link-love & relish goodness here. I have a few jars left – thanks for the tasty inspiration! Nom Nom.

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:28 am

Thanks, Christina. I’ve now carried out a few of these experiments and used up some older jars — so the list is actually working!

• Reply Kate November 21, 2011 at 9:09 am

I am a big fan of a meyer lemon marm cocktail. A la – a few tablespoons or marm in your glass + booze + bubbles. Usually either with gin + seltzer or vodka + mint + lemonade. Yum.

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

Yum, indeed. Thanks, Kate!

• Reply val November 21, 2011 at 9:46 am

First up, this chocolate tart with marmalade:

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:26 am

Those look wonderful, Val. Anything with candied citrus peel gets extra points!

• Reply Julia November 22, 2011 at 4:25 am

I’ve got quite a few jars of marmalade from last winter waiting to be used up. Thanks, Shae!

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:25 am

If anyone is going to invent wonderful ways to put preserves to work, I know it’s going to be you!

• Reply Deb November 22, 2011 at 10:12 am

The buddha’s hand seriously freaks me out with its looks. :)
    Did ya buy one?

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:24 am

Deb, I haven’t used Buddha’s Hand yet, though I’m mighty interested. I have so much fruit that comes to my doorstep unbidden, that I’m rarely making fruit purchases these days. But you know, there’s actually a Buddha’s Hand tree in my town. I know where it is and I might just stop by and ask if they can give me a hand. Ha ha.

• Reply Use It or Lose It! Cranberry Marmalade Sauce « local kitchen November 24, 2011 at 9:27 am

[…] a rock (like mine of last year), check out my recipe below. If yours came out a bit loose, check out Shae’s version, a cranberry-marm-apple relish. Either way, you can’t go wrong; cranberries are always […]

• Reply P.D. December 5, 2011 at 7:13 pm

Hello, I just found your blog. I am literally savoring it, catching up. Quince is on the stove at the moment, perfuming the entire house. Tonight I will call my sister in Alaska and tell her to tune in, as she has low bush cranberries in her (almost) bear proof freezer. I love your posts on labels. Have you ever tried making pysanky, aka Ukranian dyed eggs? I think that you, with the help of your bird friends, could make some amazingly unique labels for your creations.

• Reply Shae December 6, 2011 at 10:20 am

Well, now you have me intrigued. I have never made fancy dyed eggs, but you’re right, I should absolutely do something with my pigeon’s beautiful little eggs. I am trying to imagine how that would translate into canning labels. Tell me more!

• Reply Marmalade Old Fashioned | autumn makes and does December 6, 2011 at 6:20 pm

[…] over at Hitchhiking to Heaven to has a great round-up of recipes to use up your marmalade before you start making more, including some more marmalade […]

• Reply P.D. December 6, 2011 at 9:45 pm

Well, they would be very unconventional labels, but for the very very special occassion you could write ingredients, messages, dedications, etc. Check out Jane Pollaks book,” Decorationg Eggs, Exquisit Designs with Wax and Dye.” I have a LOT to say about egg designs but I wont take up space on your blog, you can email me directly if you want.
    For marmelade, I just made my first ever marmelade using your Quince- Orange -Cardamom recipe. I made two batches, adding in a Mexican Vanilla Bean to the second. Delish and georgous. Your directions are excellent. All jars to be gifted away this week. I thought of you and eggs because, like jams, each one is unique and there is a great deal of discovery to be found in the play of a round-ish calcified surface, wax ,a candle and a small bronze tool, not to mention the amazing combinations of colors. When eggs have their own color, like blue or brown or have spots, the possibilities are double endless.

• Reply Shae December 7, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I’m very happy to hear that the Q-O-C marmalade worked well for you. It’s one of my favorite recipes. I will most definitely look into egg art. I have been feeding my pigeons’ beautiful little eggs to the crows. I’m sure the crows appreciate it, but you make me think I could be doing something beautiful with them. Thank you!